Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Any tips on crossover building?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Any tips on crossover building?

    I built my first set of passive crossovers this weekend. It was fairly painless but it took much longer than I anticipated (2.5 hours). After the build, I got to thinking how I might change the build next time to make it faster, smaller, with better connections.

    Anyway, if you have any suggestions, it would be helpful.

    Thx..

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    I think you did a great job! Mine rarely look that pretty. =)

    A lot of guys use a wood base and point to point wiring, and/or use terminal blocks. So basically what you've done there. I like the white "euro style" terminal blocks where the wire goes inside. But either works just fine.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Any tips on crossover building?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    Nice workmanship.

    There are commercial PC boards for xovers, such as...


    DIY speaker parts

    I could post many more...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    looks very good,,

    I have used a hot glued gun to hold parts in place on a small board with all leads pointing upward for easy access and soldering, makes part changing a tad easier when your experimenting,,

    Derry

  5. #5
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    Old Guy:
    Thanks for the link to DIY crossover boards.

    The board in the link looks more complicated than others I am used to seeing with lots of resistors, capicitors, inductors, l-pads, etc. I'm clueless on electronics...

    Is there any guidance on that web page to help you pick the electronic component specs for the impedence and crossover points you are working with? I did not see any guidance but maybe it is hiding.

    Thx..

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Any tips on crossover building?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Old Guy:
    Thanks for the link to DIY crossover boards.

    The board in the link looks more complicated than others I am used to seeing with lots of resistors, capicitors, inductors, l-pads, etc. I'm clueless on electronics...

    Is there any guidance on that web page to help you pick the electronic component specs for the impedence and crossover points you are working with? I did not see any guidance but maybe it is hiding.

    Thx..

    Geared to car stereo guys but the tech is still good...

    Passive Crossover Networks

    The other parts are filters, attenuation etc, he explains how to derive the values...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    another good read to help things along plus a lot of other tips,,

    3 Way Crossover

    Derry

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    I sat in on a presentation by Tom Danley on building cross overs. The first thing is to run the impedance and SPL vs frequency. He had some wizz bang program that allowed him to model xovers on his computer and then to run the system from his computer model. Sure saved a lot of time in prototyping.

    Jim N

  9. #9
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnorv View Post
    I sat in on a presentation by Tom Danley on building cross overs. The first thing is to run the impedance and SPL vs frequency. He had some wizz bang program that allowed him to model xovers on his computer and then to run the system from his computer model. Sure saved a lot of time in prototyping.

    Jim N
    Seems like it might be a good time to acquire one of those PC based spectrum analyzers and a pink and white noise CD. Getting a flat mic is the problem I think. I've got a nice Rode but it's a vocal mic and has that peak in there around (what is it?) 800. A guy could use SPICE from there I think. Or just follow Jeff Markwart's advice to start.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Any tips on crossover building?

    Measuring the real impedance is key. It should be done with the drivers you are using and in the box or baffle you are using. From there you can get a start.
    The WT3 from Parts Express works well for me. There is also the WT2 from Smith & Larsen.

    Then there is good, free software to there to design with. Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover spreadsheet is great. Passive Crossover Designer

    Measuring is another ball of wax, but the stuff above will get you started.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.